Saturday, April 27, 2013

OPI Black Label-- Abbey Rose

Happy Caturday!!  While I'm on my OPI spring lovefest, I thought I'd trot out one of my oldest polishes, OPI Abbey Rose.  I'm not sure how long I've had it, but I do know that I wore it on my toes for my bachelorette party nine years ago, and that it was my favorite pedi color for a long time.  This might be the first time I've ever worn it as a mani.

  Abbey Rose is a frosty, dusty mauve that comes from the British collection... anyone remember the year and season?  I'm pretty sure this was 2004.  This means the brush is nice and thin, aka non-Pro-Wide, and much easier to handle when you've got small nailbeds, as I do.  I used two coats.  Man, I used to love this polish :)

OPI Abbey Rose

OPI Abbey Rose

In case you're wondering what "black label" means... A few years ago, there was a brouhaha surrounding certain chemicals found in polishes/nail products and how bad for our bodies they are.  Apparently, there was never any rock-solid evidence supporting this (correct me if I'm wrong) but some companies decided to change their formulas to exclude these chemicals, which became known as the "Big 3", dibutyl phthalate, formaldehyde, and toluene.  OPI was one such company, and as they changed their formula, they changed the color of the font on their labels from black to green.

 old, new

Got any black label OPIs?  I know some of them are pretty highly sought after, Abbey Rose not included, lol.  I have five or six older polishes and each of them is a frosty finish.  I can't decide if I've just always liked this finish or if that was all that was available, for a while.
Thanks for reading and enjoy your weekend! ☼

16 comments:

  1. I do not have any black label opis. I actually do not own many opi's. Haha. That's a lovely color. I think I own something similar from sinful colors. Hope you're having a good weekend!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure I know which SC you speak of, and I'm also pretty sure I've contemplated getting it on more than one occasion. They are lovely colors. :) I'm having a great weekend, looking at blogs right now while watching Goldfinger (speaking of OPI...Bond Girls...this is the one with Pussy Galore, lol). And same to you!

      Delete
  2. Hi sis - I love your Oldie but Goldie, it is such a classic color and suits you so well!!! And while the polish was released some years ago it still is so wearable today!!! And such a great post and again beautiful pictures, isn't it amazing that for some polishes we still remember exactly why we bought it or when we wore it!!! I dived into my vaults and have to report that, no I am not having any black labelled Opis. But then I had my nails polished in and out of the famous eighties and I have never observed an impact on my health or on my nails, oh well... I wish you a wonderful Sunday hon xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I'm saying-- what difference does it make? It's not good for your nails to have paint on them all the time, regardless, but no one's died from old nail polish exposure. Too many rules and regulations in the world.
      I know part of the reason I chose this was for the name-- my mom's a HUGE Beatles fan, so it was a little in her honor. I think it cost me $7.50, lol. Thanks for your sweet words as always, sis :)

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the background on the black vs. green label....I didn't know about this. I should look to see if I have any black label ones. I may have given a few away over the years. This is so pretty and such a classic nail polish color:) Beautiful! Have a great day girly:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You didn't? That surprises me, for some reason. It's hard for me to fathom that OPI's been around since 1996, lol. I'm sure I painted my toes back then, but I can't for the life of me remember with what. I do know it wasn't OPI.

      Delete
  4. This is a lovely shade on you. I know I have some black labels too, they just have a certain mystique because you can't get them anymore.

    I love that you post about old and new polishes : D Great pictures btw!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iggy :) They definitely have a mystique about them. I was pretty stoked when I realized I had a couple, lol, even though my other is still in circulation.

      Delete
  5. Ooooh yes, I love this one! It's exactly what I adore - a medium, unabashedly pink frost! :D

    ~ Yun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Yep, it's a great color :) I haven't worn it in a few years but could never bear to part with it.

      Delete
  6. I don't have any black label OPIs. But somehow Abbey rose looks similar to Cocoa go go from NOPI. :) Lovely swatch..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pearl :) It isn't a unique color, but I totally love the shade and finish.

      Delete
  7. I don't have any black label OPIs, I wish I could have gotten my hands on some of the older ones though. This one is pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The word is that one of this fall's San Fran collection is a dupe for an old duochrome, La Boheme. I hope it's true :) :)

      Delete
  8. Abbey Rose is from the 2003 fall collection!

    ReplyDelete

Please be respectful and refrain from using profanity or including links in your comments. Posts containing either will be deleted. If you have a blog you'd like me to check out, shoot me a message and your link by using my Contact Me form.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...