Monday, October 20, 2014

Essie Winter 2014-- Back In the Limo

  Good morning, guys and gals!!  Does Essie always put their winter collection out this early, or am I just noticing it this year?  At any rate, it's here, six shades of classic Essie, but with an atypical twist-- it's a lot of pink, a lot of coral, and, with the exception of a blue-red that may or may not be identical to Fall 2014's Dress To Kilt {HERE}, and a lovely champagne foil (imminent), a lot of sheer.

  Something about Essie's winter collections call to my mind elegant, expensive holiday parties and this year's is warm, festive, and pristine, thrown in some big, white, chandeliered room.  Like many Essies, the names in this set are cheeky and pretentious and I usually hold that against a polish, but these colors spoke to me and despite the flak that this collection has gotten/will likely continue to get, I think it's pretty brilliant.

  My first choice is Back In the Limo, a blushed peach/soft shell pink jelly.

Essie Winter 2014-- Back In the Limo swatch and review
Essie Winter 2014-- Back In the Limo


Essie Winter 2014-- Back In the Limo swatch and review
Essie Winter 2014-- Back In the Limo

Essie Winter 2014-- Back In the Limo swatch and review
Essie Winter 2014-- Back In the Limo
 
  Back In the Limo is sheer, self-leveling, but streaky.  Three coats eliminates most of the problem but gets a little thick, especially with topcoat.  It's super glossy on its own but doesn't dry very quickly, especially in three layers, so for me, topcoat is a must.  The finickiness is pretty standard for light jellies and this color is just darned pretty, so the personality flaw is forgiven.  I can see Back In the Limo becoming a favorite this winter.

  I've seen Essie's Winter 2014 collection at both Ulta and Fred Meyer; polishes retail for $8.50 each at both places.

  Thank you for reading and have a lovely day! ♥

40 comments:

  1. Such a nice spring colour... a bit of a winter miss for me but it's pretty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pretty :) I picture it as a nice contrast when wearing dark cocktail dresses (because I'll be doing so much of that this year, lolol XD)

      Delete
  2. I love this on you! That peachy-pink is super flattering with your skin tone, and your nail shape looks fabulous with it. I haven't looked closely at Essie's Winter 2014. Is it getting criticized? Essie's polish are always pretty boring, but usually everybody loves them, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mo ♥ I should say it's 50-50. I've read exactly two reviews. Not much out there on this set at this point. Folks like their traditional colors from the big collections, though, which is funny because ask any given gal and she'll say she doesn't follow trends. lol.

      Delete
  3. Such a nice soft color! It seems like a palette cleanser type of polish on the nails too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been wearing so much of this type of color lately that a palette cleanser now means a big ol' glitter bomb, lol.

      Delete
  4. I love peaches, but it's unusual to be released in a winter collection! Either way, it's so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is unusual-- there's a coral in there, too. I kind of want it :)

      Delete
  5. This is so pretty! Polishes like this tend to have a difficult formula, but you made it look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I feel like it looks prettier on me irl ;) If only it was a little more self leveling and behaved like an OPI Softshade...

      Delete
  6. Nice colour! I can imagine the formula having issues - Essie's lighter colours tend to be streaky and need more coats. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This us actually my first light Essie... I've heard their formula has improved, though. I don't think this lne's terrible but it's no OPI NYC Ballet :)

      Delete
  7. This is an interesting "winter" collection but it's a pretty color!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pretty <3 The collection together makes more sense than some of the individual colors, I think.

      Delete
  8. Haha I love your description of Essie winter polishes! It's so true, they always feel very lavish. And this color is a stunner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) I need to be invited to a few semi formal Christmas parties just so I can wear this to its full potential :D

      Delete
  9. Hmmm... that is an interesting shade to be released during the Winte.r.. but I do like that peach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just kind of clean and classic, I think :)

      Delete
  10. Too bad about the tricky formula, it looks beautiful on you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an unusual winter shade! But the squishyness is really nice :).

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree, due to the stigma I don't own many Essies nor make it a point to purchase them for this is so dainty and light and could definitely transition form Winter to Spring!! This is so pretty on you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dani! :) Yeah, certain brands I still draw the line at. I've been leaning super classic in my polish choices lately so Essie's colors have really been speaking to me... But yeah, some of the worst names ever.

      Delete
  13. Very nice. I think I have a few that look close to this, so not sure I need this. But I enjoyed reading about your opinions on it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, sweets :) Yeah, not having ever been big into Essie, everything's totally new to me, lol. After I got this and put it on, though, I realized that it's probably really similar to Cult Nails Evolution...

      Delete
  14. This one is okay, but a bit too light for my liking! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This one is definitely tempting me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? That's awesome! It'd probably make a nice base :)

      Delete
  16. You're so right, this feels very elegant and sophisticated. Like you should be wearing a long slinky dress at a gala or something!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, exactly!! Clean, classic nails and a slinky black (or navy) dress ♥♥♥

      Delete
  17. very elegant and neutral! love your swatches =)

    ReplyDelete

Please be respectful and refrain from using profanity or including links in your comments. Posts containing either will be deleted. If you have a blog you'd like me to check out, shoot me a message and your link by using my Contact Me form.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...