My mission to find my perfect sheer red lippy led me to Maybelline's Color Whispers line. Who Wore It Red-er looked to hold the most potential, and I was highly confident that my search was complete. The company says it's "Pure color pigments suspended in a weightless gel. No heavy waxes or oils. Soft, sexy gel-color." Sounds like a slam dunk, to me.
Color Whispers come in a narrow case with packaging fairly indicative of the color inside, and I didn't realize just how indicative until I had the color on my lips. If you see a bright blue-pink rather than a true red, you'd be correct. I was not.
I love the size of the actual color stick, which is a little less than 1/2 inch in diameter. It's just right for my lip size.
I've never tried a gel based lippy. MAC and Laura Mercier have gel lines out, but to the best of my knowledge Maybelline is the first drugstore company to carry such a line. With nothing but bare lip underneath, Who Wore It Red-er glides on superbly. Apparently, this is called "good slip". It feels smooth and moisturizing going on, but the moisture doesn't last.
As the tube indicates, this is not a true red, if it can be called red, at all. The color on Maybelline's website is highly inaccurate. Who Wore It Red-er is a sheer, cool raspberry with a lot of gloss. The gloss wears off quickly as well, but it leaves lips with a lovely stain (one of my favorite things about reds is the stain they leave behind as they start to wear off). It's got a bit of a tendency to settle into fine lines, and I found that balm underneath doesn't help-- this is best worn by itself.
Bottom line, it's a nice color, but the search continues. I see myself wearing Who Wore It Red-er a lot this summer, when I'll stash my beloved cremes in favor of light and sheer.
Now I'm going to try something new.
- Great slip; this color glides on like a dream and makes application pleasant and easy.
- The sheer gel formula combined with red pigmentation means good color payoff with no bleeding; no additional lip products required to make this look good. Another low-maintenance bright!
- This color is a perfect bold, bright, and classy color for the lighter makeup days of summer.
- The size of the stick is smaller and fits my lip size nicely.
- The price is very reasonable, at $5.99 a pop.
- There's not a lot of moisture to this. It's there in the beginning but wears off quickly, making frequent application necessary.
- It's not red. Neither the name nor Maybelline's website indicate this. Pay attention to the color of the casing, and know that it's going to come off even less red on the lip.
So there you have it! Feedback on the pros and cons thing is most welcome. I feel like it's a little wordy and maybe redundant, so please let me know if you have an opinion. Thanks for reading and have a beautiful day. ♥♥