Friday, November 14, 2014

Revlon Moon Candy-- Satellite & Orbit

  Hi all!!  The Revlon Moon Candy Nail Art duos have been around for a couple years and they've never really seemed to catch on, despite the fact that they're easily accessible flakies perfectly matched with a corresponding base color.  The other day I went to the display at my most frequently used watering hole and dusted (yes, dusted) a couple Moon Candies off and brought them home with me.  Brace yourselves because I've got a lot to say about these.

Revlon Moon Candy Satellite and Orbit swatch and review
Revlon Moon Candy


  The first one I chose is Satellite, a wine crelly base color matched with iridescent peach flakies in a sheer peach jelly base.  The wine shade is pretty typical, and has a nice red tone to it as opposed to brown, giving it a more cabernet appearance and less fresh blood.  I have at least six shades like this in my stash and they've all got better brushes than this one, which is thick and moppy, and better formulas, which the troublesome brush did not help.  This is thick and runny and not quite opaque in one coat, thick and slow drying in two.

  The flakie portion is actually iridescent gold mylar shards, which are heavier than your typical iridescent flakie (Essie Shine Of The Times, the Finger Paints flakies, Essence Night In Vegas).  This means they don't come out with ease and are harder to place on the nail.  They also have a tendency to misbehave, clumping together, not laying flat, requiring multiple layers of topcoat to smooth out.  Still, I like this look, and was surprised, despite the peachy appearance in the bottle, to see that it very closely resembles one of my favorite glitter toppers, Cult Nails Feedback (seen over one of my six wine shades {HERE}).  The Moon Candy shards flash the same pink and green.  The sheer, lightly colored base doesn't obscure the base color at all, but does add considerable thickness to an already thick base layer.  I used two coats of the wine shade and one coat of flakies, finished with one thick layer of topcoat.  All that thickness leads to near instant shrinkage as everything starts to dry.

Revlon Moon Candy Satellite swatch and review
Revlon Moon Candy Satellite
  The second duo I chose is Orbit.  Orbit is a slightly warm, dark purple creme coupled with light opalescent blue flakies in a sheer violet base.  The thick, moppy brush is the same but the formula on this creme much nicer than Satellite's crelly.  It's opaque in two coats of standard thickness and consistency and dries quickly.  
  I had higher hopes for this flakie, thinking it might be more traditional but its appearance in the bottle is deceptive.  This is also a mylar shard, and worse behaving than Satellite's.  Orbit's flakes are not as plentiful and they seem to be heavier still.  They apply sparsely and show up subtly.  I used two coats to achieve what you see here and these shards both sunk in and poked out so I used two thick layers of topcoat in an attempt to balance out the texture.  I experienced some shrinkage with all these coats as well, but not to the extent of Satellite and that's due entirely to the nicer formula of the purple base.

Revlon Moon Candy Orbit swatch and review
Revlon Moon Candy Orbit
  All this is only part of why these Moon Candy duos haven't exactly caught on.

  • These retail for $7.49 a piece, which is a lot for 7.68ml of drugstore polish (that's both sides).  15ml of Zoya runs $9-$10, depending on the finish; Revlon's Parfumerie line retails $6.99 for 11.7ml.  I admit that a big sale prompted me to finally try these-- I spent $4.49 for each, which is fair enough, in my opinion.
  • The packaging is really awkward.  It's great for display but that's it.  These are double ended, tall, and narrow, and so quite topheavy and something of a balancing act to maneuver and apply.
  • Troublesome flakie formulas and thickness of coats do not contribute to an overly polished finished look.
  • These are neither as original nor as striking on the nail as they appear in their packaging.


  So there you have it.  Now I understand why the entire display was covered in dust.  Have you tried any of these Moon Candies?  If so, what did you think?

  Thanks for reading and have a lovely day!! ♥

32 comments:

  1. Too bad that these weren't that great. Your photos look beautiful! At first I was thinking it'd be a great alternative to the flake craze that's going on right now, but not if they're so much work like you said.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! ♥ That's what I initially thought, too, but I kind of suspect this new generation of flakies are going to be awesome beyond compare, lol :)

      Delete
  2. I have one of these and there okay. Not my favorite but there's some nice colors in them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some lovely base colors and flakies, too... I just wish they were better behaved.

      Delete
  3. I have never even been tempted by these. I honestly think it's because the bottles use the words "nail art", and my head just won't accept that. I also wondered how fun it would be to paint your nails using something that looked like it came out of a mascara bottle. That purple one is a really pretty color though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you know me and "nail art" and I think that's probably part of what steered me clear of these for a spell, lol... Besides all that and all that, if layering a topper over a base is art, then I'm a lot better at it than I thought I was, lolol...
      Yeah. Worse than Julep (which honestly never bothered me).

      Delete
  4. Well I have to credit Orbit for getting me into nail polish..I happened to See it/buy it/loook it up online and found a nail blog post...had no idea about nail blogs or indie polishes (I avoid most social media like the plague). Now I have a huge collection :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, Orbit was your gateway! That's awesome :) It is a lovely duo, I just wish it was a little better behaved (and packaged a little differently, lol).

      Delete
  5. Wow, now you know why you had to dust these babies off! lol It's such a great concept, hopefully they reformulate to make it actually work nice. Despite all that, I think you achieved some great swatches :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you thank you!! ♥ I always feel like a bad formula is highlighted in my photos but that's truth in blogging for ya ;) Reformulating wouldn't be a bad idea but there's just not a lot you can do about shard glitter. You take your lumps when you decide to wear it, I think.

      Delete
  6. I have one of these and had your exact experience! Needless to say it's gone now, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah... I'm trying to find my receipts so I can just maybe return them... I could give them away and hope the recipient neither reads my blog nor tries to google it, lol...

      Delete
  7. I love the way Orbit looks but the formula will definitely keep me away. Plus, I'm not a fan of those bottles. I'm a bottle snob. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that's another thing. I can't figure out how to optimally store these, lol...

      Delete
  8. I've always loved the moonies and have collected them all from the beginning. These were quite hard to find when they first came out, and sold out fast. Little by little I got them all and sent one or two to a nailpolish nut in England who was dying to get them. Not impressed that they were so little but I had to have them and still use them and love them. In time, they do get a bit heavy and need thinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adding thinner could help the flakie side, that's good to know! I figure there is a reason Revlon hasn't pulled them... I wished I liked these better, the concept is so cool.

      Delete
  9. Great review and well said! I bought one of these 'back in the day' and have destashed for all the reasons that you mention... UGH!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! It's hard to consider giving a polish with a terrible formula to a friend, lol... "I didn't like it at all, maybe you will??? " le sigh.

      Delete
  10. Yeah, duo polishes never really appealed to me - storage problems but also for usage it's just not ideal. Too bad they also didn't deliver formula wise :(.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, nothing about these really works for me, either, sadly.

      Delete
  11. I've never tried these but seen them about. I like the idea of the flakies - but I've got lots of flakies and hubby is like "you don't need any more". Men lol ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, doll, I'll side with him and say you probably don't need these... Well, maybe one, just so you can try it ;)

      Delete
  12. I absolutely hate these bottles..I had to decant so I could actually use them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, you seriously should not have to put extra effort into getting a nail polish to work for you!

      Delete
  13. I have some of those duo polishes from Essence. The packaging is so inconvenient I never use them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Traditional bottles are definitely best. Right now these are sitting awkwardly in a destash pile, lol.

      Delete
  14. I haven't tried these and I wasn't planning on it, but I have looked at them just because they look so pretty in the bottle. Good to know that they aren't really worth it. You do make that blue look really good though ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! ♥ Orbit does look really cool and I'm bummed it ended up like it did. It's currently in a destash box so I hope it goes to someone whose chemistry maybe is a better fit.

      Delete
  15. I've looked at these and thought about getting them, then decided to wait and look for swatches. Which I forgot to do :D Glad you swatched them and reminded me. Sad they're not as exciting as they look :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be a lot happier with them if they behaved better but there's almost no redeeming qualities to these :( It's a bummer, too, because I love my flakies and a mylar shard topper done well is a gorgeous statement.

      Delete
  16. Looks reborn and baptized in a moment of grace... (come on LG this was the perfect color for a between sun & moon ref...lol) ok im done haha

    ReplyDelete

Please be respectful and refrain from using profanity or including links in your comments. Posts containing either will be deleted. If you have a blog you'd like me to check out, shoot me a message and your link by using my Contact Me form.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...